Big Pun also known as Christopher Lee Rios is a Latino hip hop artist who was widely acknowledged as American rapper and songwriter. He is famous for his music singles Capital Punishment ,Yeeeah Baby and also Endangered Species. Big Pun is his stage name which is a short form of “Big Punisher” .
Big Pun Profile/Wiki/Bio
Christopher Lee Rios was born on 10 November 1971 and his age is 28 years old (as of 7 February 2000 time of his death). He has come to fame for his work with Fat Joe and Terror Squad. Big Pun was initially noticed by his Fat Joe followed by making his appearance on Fat Joe’s 1995 album Jealous One’s Envy. In 1997, He has debuted as a solo artist through signing with Loud Records. He released his first studio album Capital Punishment in April 1998.
|Birth name||Christopher Lee Rios|
|Famously Known as||The Big Pun (short form of ‘Big Punisher’)|
|Birthdate/Born on||10 November 1971|
|Died (age)||7 February 2000 (aged 28)|
|Birthplace||White Plains, New York, U.S.|
|Also Known As (AKA)/Other names||Big Punisher(long name for “Big Pun”)|
|Labels||Loud (1997 – 2000)|
|Cause Of Death||Heart Attack, Respiratory Failure|
Big Pun Relationship Status, Affairs & More
Big Pun was married to Liza Rios on 5th May 1990.
|Spouse||Liza Rios (m. 1990 – 2000)|
|Children’s||Chris Rivers , Amanda Rios , Vanessa Rios|
Big Pun Net Worth & More
|Net Worth||3 Million $ (at the time of his death)|
Big Pun Biography, Life Story, Trivia & More
Christopher Lee Rios was born in The South Bronx in New York City, New York. He was widely called as ‘Big Pun’ which is a short form of ‘Big Punisher’ . He has moved out of his house at age 15 and was homeless for come couple of time in the late 1980’s.Big Pun has bought critical acclaim and commercial success to himself on 1998 April with his debut album Capital Punishment which has peaked to #5 on Billboard 200 making it the first solo hip-hop record by Latina artist to go Platinum.
Rios aka Big Pun has suffered from depression due to his rough and unstable childhood. He tried to cope it up wit overeating. Between the ages of 18 and 21, Rios weight has escalated quickly from 180lbs (82kg) to 300lb( 140 kg) resulting to him struggling to sometimes even tie his own shoes. Rios was 5’7(171cms) resulting in obese body index.
Rios has suffered weight issues throughout his entire adult life. In early 1990’s , his weight has fluctuated between obese to morbidly obese. Rios was enrolled in weight loss program at Duke University in 1999 where he has shed over 80 pounds (36kg). He prematurely quit the program resulting in gaining his weight back.
On 5 February 2000, Rios withdrew from participating from a planned Saturday Night Live alongside Fat Joe and Jennifer Lopez due to his illness. Two day later, Rios has suffered a Heart Attack and Respiratory Failure and was rushed immediately to hospital where he died at the age of 28 after the paramedics failed to revive him.
Some Interesting Facts About Big Pun:
- Rios aka Big Pun’s second album ‘Yeeeah Baby’ was released on April 2000. It peaked at No.3 on the Billboard charts and earned gold record status after three months of it’s release.
- On May 2, 2001, the New York City Council cancelled the plans to rename a small portion of Rogers Place as a tribute, due to disrespect over Big Pun’s lyrics that “included profanity and references to violence and drug dealing”.
- On September 10,2021, Vibe has posted an article that Big Pun’s wife Liza Rios and Fat joe has has traded shots at each other on Instagram . Liza Rios has accused Fat Joe has robbed Big Pun.
- Big Pun’s son Chris Rivers is also an musical artist who is a rapper of hip hop genre which his father is famous for. He started making music since 2002 and he is active until now.
- After the death of Big Pun, an album called ‘Endangered species’ has been released which consists of Big Pun’s unreleased music singles, songs which consisted of his appearances .
- Endangered Species has peaked at #7 at the Billboard 200 but it has not matched the sales of his previous albums.
Big Pun Social Media Channels & Links
You have triumphantly made it to the end of the article! Hopefully, you found everything you wished to know about Big Pun.
Thanks for choosing our BlowUp Journal. We hope we can continue providing you with any other information that you might need. Let us know your thoughts in the comment section.